Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Third Planet RIP

I'm a bit late to this, but my former comic shop, Third Planet in Torrance, has closed down. This article (which is on the Contra Costa Times site, but was originally done for the Daily Breeze), has all the details. Apparently, even the fixtures are for sale if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I shopped at Third Planet when I first came to California in 1996. I was living in Redondo Beach and working at the Breeze and Third Planet was not only the closest comic shop, but the best at the time in that part of Los Angeles. I last visited the store around 2000, after it had moved from its first location near the Del Amo mall to PCH and as I was moving north and east into the belly of the beast that is Los Angeles. It will be missed ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know they moved to near the PCH! I hope my favorite spots stick around - Comics Ink, Golden Apple, Meltdown and Alakazam!

Tom McLean said...

I know for sure that Comics Ink, Meltdown and GA are still around. GA has moved to a new, better Melrose location a couple years ago, and Meltdown has a Mini-Melt down the street from me in Eagle Rock. Don't know about Alakazam!